Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Challah With Dried Cranberries and Orange Zest



This is my first contribution to the Healthy Bread in Five Group, led by Michelle. I ran out of time in November to make the first Bread Braid. This braid seemed right up my alley - the dried cranberries and orange zest just seemed to sing out "holidays" to me! I mixed up half a batch of the dough, using King Arthur White Whole Wheat and King Arthur All Purpose flour. I did use the wheat germ (although mine was toasted), and I accidentally added the full amount of orange zest from the basic recipe. I allowed the dough to refrigerate for three days before heading back to my braid. I made two small braids from the batch, and sprinkled each loaf with raw sugar before baking. Since I was trying to save myself time, I baked both loaves in the oven, but it took a little longer to finish up the baking, so I baked them for about 40-45 minutes. Even with the added orange zest, I found that the flavor did not really come through (perhaps because I used dried zest reconstituted with orange juice...). The bread was delicious! I think the next time I make this, I will make it into mini-loaves for sharing with others, and I think it would also make a good sandwich bread for leftover turkey... :) Thanks Jeff for a great recipe! I can't wait to see what everyone made, and to start the book in January!

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Had not thought to use this as a Sandwich Bread but I bet it would work out very well. We're having turkey for Christmas Dinner and I might just have to make another half recipe!

Gorgeous loaf and beautiful rise!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

This bread smells and tastes like the holidays to me also. Beautiful loaf!

Heather S-G said...

Oh you're right, this would make awesome leftover sammies! Looks delish :)

Bread Over Heels said...

I agree that this would make a great sandwich - may be even a grilled one! Loaf looks great - thanks for sharing!

Cristie said...

So true about the sandwich idea, this would be perfect bread for a turkey and cream cheese with cranberry relish.

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Mmmmm... Delicious! I think it would taste great as a PB&J sandwich. That's how I've been eating my version.

GA Jane said...

I made one loaf with my Challah dough. It was great for toast and sandwiches. I don't have a camera but have a "wish list".

Ezzie said...

Wonderful pics and comments. I haven't seen anyone suggest french toast yet...another great way to enjoy challah! You did great!

Kim said...

Definitely a great sandwich bread to use with turkey sandwiches. It looks great!

Jenny said...

I baked my first loaf of this in a regular loaf pan and it came out great. Good for slicing and toasting and I had thought it would be good for sandwiches, but it didn't last that long.
~Jenny~

Joanne said...

Yay for joining the group! I braided my first two loaves and then for the rest just made rolls. The loaf pan is a great idea. Looks gorgeous!