Thursday, January 28, 2010

Apple Strudel, Hamburger Buns, and More!


The Healthy Bread in Five Group's next task was to make the 100% Whole Wheat Loaf and some variations. This was the very first recipe I made from the book when I got it in November, so I wanted to focus on the variations for this round. Knowing that my Pain de Mie pan uses 3/4 of a batch of dough, I planned on making the full recipe, but would make more hamburger buns to keep on hand in the freezer. I love "Everything Bagel" topping on hamburger buns to accompany a nice bowl of Black Bean Chili!
I was really impressed with the Apple Strudel Bread - knowing how hearty this loaf is, I didn't expect it to be like an Apple Strudel pastry. I used gala apples, raisins, and crystallized ginger chips. I would have liked to use nuts, but I was taking it into work and there are some serious nut allergies at my school. Even without the nuts, this was a great loaf! I loved the crunch of the demerara sugar on top. While I was chopping the apples, I only used two apples for the loaf, as it seemed like a lot of fruit to fill a pan. I loved the rise of the bread and didn't have any "wet spots" to contend with. No picture of the beautiful inside of this loaf - it was devoured at work!


Since I had also made the Hamburger Buns before, I wanted to try some new toppings. I used the "Everything Bagel" topping from King Arthur to great success.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your topping on the hamburger buns. and your strudel looks wonderful. I wish I could've seen the inside. I'm planning on making my strudel today :)

Kim said...

Love the everything topping for the buns! Seems like the idea of black bean burgers, black bean sloppy joes, and black bean chili were popular ideas for using the bread this time around. Looks great.

Raelyn said...

Love the Everything Bagel topping too and thanks for including the link for it. I am going to have to get some of that. Great job!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love everything bagels too :) Great idea for the hamburger buns and I like the sound of the ginger chips in the strudel bread.

Cristie said...

I'm so happy to be introduced to the topping on your buns- thanks for the visual and link. Your apple strudel held on to the topping well, did you do something special before or did you follow the advise in the recipe?

Michelle said...

WOW..your hamburger buns turned out super great! Love the topping too!

Still loving my Pan de Mie pan, so glad you brought it to my attention! Bakes the best bread yet!

Petra said...

I have one of those pans and must admit that i have not used it yet. It maybe time to pull it out. Nice buns!

Joanne said...

I really love the hamburger bun topping. Genius and perfect with some chili!

The strudel was one of my favorite recipes so far,. I definitely need to try it with some ginger!

Heather B said...

Your bread looks delicious! Great job!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Mmmm...everything sounds so yummy! I love the toppings for the buns!

Elwood said...

The topping for the buns looks great. I have a pan de mie pan also, but was never sure how much to put in.now I know.

Jenny said...

Your buns look yummy topped with the everything topping. I just received my pan de mie pan today and haven't had a chance to use it yet. Although I did muscle the lid on and off a few times--phew!
~Jenny~

Judy's Bakery & Test Kitchen said...

Everything looks delicious! I was wondering about the KA everything topping. Glad to see what it looks like.

Anonymous said...

I really like the idea of the topping for the buns. I haven't put anything on mine yet because I'm not a huge fan of sesame seeds, but I'm all about the everything topping.