Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pesto Bread - A Taste of Summer


After taking a break for the past two bread braids with the Healthy Bread in Five group, I jumped back on the wagon with Pesto Bread. Not having any pesto in the freezer, I went looking for a small jar at the grocery store. The bread was not as green as I imagined it would be, and I did not taste a difference in using the spelt flour (from King Arthur's catalog). I did not use the pine nuts in the recipe, because I didn't think they would go over well with the eaters in the house (myself included).

I mixed the half recipe up on Saturday, and baked the loaves on Monday. I am finding that I really like the tang and flavor that I get with a somewhat rested dough compared to a fresh batch. I served the bread with homemade spaghetti sauce Tuesday, and with local butter it was a definite hit! This will definitely be a keeper recipe, especially in the summer with fresh basil!

11 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a pretty loaf. I made my pesto bread with homemade pesto from my garden, and we absolutely loved this bread.

Michelle said...

We enjoyed this bread very much and so far it's one of my husband's favorites.

Glad to see you back baking bread with us again!

Petra said...

nice crumb, looking forward to Wednesday when I will be baking up this dough

Raelyn said...

Your bread looks great. Glad you are baking again!

Mama Peck said...

Yum! Please pass the butter. :)

Femalechef said...

Beautiful crumb on your bread!!!

Cristie said...

Your loaf looks perfect. We enjoyed this recipe very much as well, and I took the last braid off too. Aren't you glad we aren't getting graded on HBin5?

Brenda said...

Your pesto bread looks like it raised better than mine did. I also bought a jar of pesto from the store and substituted whole wheat for the spelt which I could not find. I did use the pine nuts which we like but they are kinda pricey so I think if I make again I would leave them out.

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

I loved this bread as well. What a great idea to server Spaghetti sauce on the side. I'll be making this one again.

Elwood said...

The bread looks great and I can just imagine how good it tastes with local butter.

Unknown said...

Your loaf is beautiful! I had so much fun with this dough.